Wednesday, August 6, 2008

American English vs. British English ---- Isn't one version enough?

Before I moved to America, I didn’t know the difference between American English and British English. To me, English was English. There was no difference. Later on, I learned that people from England and America, not including Australia and South Africa, have different accents. Some words used in England are not used in America. Some words I learned in school in my country are spoken primary in England, but not in America. It was very confusing at that time. I was wondering WHY one version of English wasn't enough. Why didn't make it simple? Anyway, it's out of my control, so I had no choice but to learn. After living in America for a while and working my rear off to improve my English, my language skill has been a lot better (thank goodness!), so the difference between British English and American English is no longer a big issue.

For a reference, I put together some frequently used words that have the same meaning in British English and American English but spell differently. I am sure most of you've known these words in both versions already. Thus, think of it as a review. ENJOY!!

American English vs. British English

  • Closet = Cupboard / Wardrobe
  • Elevator = Lift
  • Pants = Trousers
  • Underwear / panties = Pants / Underwear / Knickers
  • Turtle Neck = Polo Neck
  • Bath Robe = Dressing Gown
  • Eraser = Rubber (rubber in America also means 'condom'.)
  • Parking Lot = Car park
  • Cross Walk = Zebra Crossing / Pedestrian Crossing
  • sidewalk = Pavement
  • Gas Station = Petrol Station
  • Fire Truck = Fire Engine
  • Duplex = Semi-Detached House
  • Apartment = Flat
  • Candy = Sweets
  • Chips (such as potato chips, chips you eat with dipping sauce) = Crisps
  • French Fries = Chips (French Fries in McDonald's)
  • Jell-o (flavoured gelatin) = Jelly (a dessert in th UK)
  • Check = Bill (at restaurant)
  • Bathroom / Restroom / Lady's room = The Toilet / Loo / The John / Bog / WC / Visiting the little boys (little girl's room) Btw, please don't say you need to go to a TOILET in America. It sounds very funny and is too much information!! If you are a woman, says ' I need to go to a lady's room. It sounds a lot better.
  • Faucet = Tap
  • Backyard / Yard = Garden
  • Trash Can = Bin / Dust Bin
  • Range or Stove = Cooker
  • Policeman / Cop = Policeman
  • Mailman = Postman
  • Soccer = Football
  • Stand in a Line. There's a line. = Queue (There's a queue)

  • Want to learn more? Click on the link below:


    Hope this helps :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Blog contents and pictures copyright (c)2008 - 2010 thai-in-america unless otherwise noted. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.