Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Do you know….?


Americans see the world differently that we do in Asia. One of the strangest things I've observed is how Westerners assign the pronouns HE or SHE to living things in the environment. American’s want to extend these pronouns as a friendly gesture or they want to superimpose a human personality on this thing. It is almost as though people here see animals, insects, fish and birds as things that live a similar life to humans. All this sounded very weird to me when I first heard it. In Thailand, we generally call any animal, including family pet, ‘IT’. HE and SHE are only used for humans. After living here and having different kinds of pets, I have no problem calling my dogs, rats and other pets, HE or SHE. In fact, it seems appropriate.

Mosquitos, roaches, fleas, ticks, and other pests don’t seem to have earned this same privilege. They are simply called by their names (roach) or perhaps they earn an explicative (Damn mosquito!, Stupid roach!).

Maybe this strange system is popular in America, because Westerners are lonely, and they want more friends. Americans are trying to enrich their families with new members. I have observed families are often separated by hundreds (if not thousands) of miles, only seeing each other at Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Are there any of you from Asia who have been surprised by this strange part of Western culture (HE/SHE)?

What do you think about my assertion that Western culture promotes feelings of loneliness? Do you have a story to share? Do you miss your family in Asia?

4 comments:

  1. I read living in America section on your blog. It is so interesting ka.

    P Jinnie,
    You have made a solid point why the westerners use pronouns he/she for their pet. I have noticed it too. Moreover, I think it is so interesting that they have a sex for an object such as a ship.

    --- I have observed families are often separated by hundreds (if not thousands) of miles, only seeing each other at Christmas or Thanksgiving.--- I agree ka. I have read somewhere(don't remember the author'sname) that American society is mobile. People would move around to better their life. It is completely different than Thailand or where I am from. My parents live in the same town since they were born, still have the same job for more than 25 years. However, I notice that people are more mobile all over the world now.

    Your blog is a food for thought!

    Minnie(Japan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minnie,

    Thanks for visiting my blog and glad you enjoy reading it.

    It’s very interesting to me, too, that a ship, a submarine and a boat are always referred to as a woman and called as SHE. I am not sure why. This is puzzling me a lot because, from what I’ve heard, in the past women were considered to bring bad luck at sea.

    Do you or anyone know why SHE is used as the pronoun for the ship / submarine/ boat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P'Gee,

    I really enjoy reading your blog. This is a great spot for me to share my thought with you and other readers. Moreover, I would like improve my writing. Please give me your feedback on my writing too. :)

    I do not know why they prefer the ship is prefered as a she. Perhaps I should ask sailors. ;p
    I have read that the Tahiti islands are called the Tahiti and her islands because they are so beautiful. People compare the islands as a beautiful female. I think it is interesting but totally agree with them because she is so beautiful. I wish I will be there one day. I do not know, if it's related calling the boat/ ship she.

    P'Gee writes "from what I’ve heard, in the past women were considered to bring bad luck at sea." You're right. I have been to a boat racing in my hometown with my dad when I was young. He told me that females are not to touch the boat because we would bring bad luck to them. I thought it was wrong but I did not know why. Now I think it is a discrimination against women. :$ Does the western culture believe the same way we do?

    Minnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about western culture promoting loneliness. We tend to want to be individuals where Asian countries are more about the community.

    It's funny when I walk down a street in America most people won't smile at you or say hello much less notice that you exist. When I walk down any street in Thailand people are friendly and say Sawatdee and smile.

    I think it's great you've mastered the English language so well, I hope one day I can learn Thai as well...hasn't been easy so far!

    As for ships and cars being called She early sailors found many similarities between ships and women and modern day men have too...some women are expensive and high maintenance lol.

    ReplyDelete

Blog contents and pictures copyright (c)2008 - 2010 thai-in-america unless otherwise noted. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.